The Tairua River Trail is a scenic walking and cycle route along the banks of the Tairua River in the beautiful eastern Coromandel.
Starting at the Waterways in Pauanui, it winds its way 6.4km through mangroves, native forest and rolling farmland to a point downstream from Hikuai. When complete, it will link the communities of Tairua and Pauanui and be a terrific addition to the Coromandel's network of trails.
OUR VISION - CONNECTING TWO COMMUNITIES
We're seeking funding and approvals to complete a 15km route between Tairua and Pauanui, via a bridge across the Tairua River and a trail along its northern bank into Tairua.
The completed trail will deliver benefits to the region, including:
- A safe, scenic, off-road trail to be enjoyed by all.
- Benefits of increased "cycle tourism" for local business.
- Native tree planting and pest trapping along the route.
- Better access to historic and culturally significant sites.
- Pedestrian safety improvements south of Tairua town centre.
- Health benefits from increased trail use.
The trail is popular with locals and visitors alike, especially during the summer months, and is maintained in good condition all year round.
It's classified as a Grade 2 cycleway, but has been specifically designed to accommodate walkers, runners and cyclists of all ages and ability.
Separated from roads and offering stunning views of the estuary and nearby mountains, the trail is wide and flat - allowing you to explore at whatever pace suits you.